Saturday 6 August 2011

Lady Cariad has Character

I'm going to be jumping on a massive bandwagon here as she's already been reviewed and recommended by The Guardian, Fringe Review and.. well let's face it, pretty much everyone in the world, but Cariad Lloyd is ace and her show should be seen by you. Yes, you.

Okay, maybe I'm slightly biased. I've already admitted I have a massive comedy horn for her. And if I'm going to be completely honest, I am doing the tech-stuff for her show and she's said that if her audiences are big enough she'll boost my £5 per show fee to £10... but please take that honesty into the next paragraph.

Cariad Lloyd is one of those rare performers, someone who has managed to become funny, skilled and in possession of a hyperbolically superb comedy muscle, but she's managed to do all that while still retaining a warmth and generosity in her performance that brings the whole audience along with her. Her show features a collection of characters from her own mind that are all engaging and amusing. They are all just the right amount of surreal, with just the right amount of darkness. My favourites are Andrew The 7 Year-Old Stand-Up and Jack Le Cock, the (largely shit) parkour expert. Cariad perfoms in a way that draws you ever further to the edge of your seat, so you don't miss a single one of the hundreds of tiny little jokes that hide in between the big ones. I've now seen the show 4 times, and I've still found new funny in each show. And I still have about 23 performances to go. That's a good thing. By the end I might have picked up on all of them.

We love Cariad as an improviser, and we love that her impro-brain has led her to other types of performance. And coming runner-up in the Funnys Funny female comedian of the year a couple of weeks ago lends credibility to my gushing. For which I'm not sorry.

★★★★★

Cariad performs Lady Cariad's Characters at The Voodoo Rooms in Edinburgh, at 3.55pm as part of the Free Fringe. So the show is free. And it's worth a hundred times that.
Come along. I highly recommend it. And there's a ten pound note with my name on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment