Wednesday 4 July 2012

#ChicaGoUK: Charis Bury

Hey, you know the drill by now. There are loads of improvisers from the UK going to Chicago this summer. They're off to sup from the sweet nectar of the biggest concentration of improv in the world. Here's another impro-human taking a course this year:

Tell us a bit about yourself..

Hello, I'm Charis Bury. I'm a writer and bar manager (they compliment quite nicely, don't you think?). I first found Improv after my writer/director boss and mentor passed away in 2008. After living in my PJs for a year and watching a LOT of E! News, I decided that I needed some funny in my life. So I booked an 8-week course at Second City, and as I'm sure you'll all understand, I found the love of my life.

What's the best improv call-out you've ever heard?

My best friend Aimee gets terrified in front of any crowd or in social situations where she is asked to speak. She recently came to a show of mine in which they asked for suggestions. She shouted something that came out more like a gargle, which the host took to be 'Layers'. It was very funny indeed, and developed into a bizarre scene.

Which improv course are you doing, and what made you choose that one?

I'm doing the iO Summer Intensive, as I asked a bunch of my Chicago friends and they thought I'd love it. I've only ever done a weekend of Long form before so it's still a very wild beast to me... but I'm a' tame that sucker!

When/how did you start planning your trip?

Last year it dawned on me that 2012 was the last year of my twenties. I decided to fill it with awesomeness just in case I forget the blur of emotional nonsense that the rest of the decade has provided. I realised that a trip like this would require money, so I just went on a quiz show and won thousands... true story.

What are you most excited about?

Lake Michigan! No seriously... the men.
But also getting back into a scene so wildly steeped in Improv that you can't help but feel like you're part of something really exciting. You can live, breathe & eat Improv in the windy city. It's Just. So. Cool.

Are there any shows you HAVE to see while you're over there?

Anything by pH or The Cupid Players. The list is as long as my arm.

What are you going to do in chicago when you're not improvising?

Eating stuff. I'm also dragging a bunch of my fellow Limeys up to Michigan for a beach day-trip if they'll let me. I have both friends and family there so it's like coming home. I'm tearing up at the thought.

How do you think the trip will change you?

I know it will change me a great deal, it always does. But it's always in unexpected, and wonderful ways. You just have to give in to it.

Do you think you'll go back another time?

Many times. I've practically brought a house there.

If you could name a new impro group anything you like, what would it be?

Big Hairy Men and fill it with both big hairy men and 5'4 girls like myself. I don't know why I find this funny.


Follow all the UK improvisers going to Chicago this Summer at #ChicaGoUK

No comments:

Post a Comment