Wednesday 27 June 2012

#ChicaGoUK: Lloydie

Here's the second of our interviews with the multitude of UK improvisers tasting the delights of the Chicago improv scene this summer. "Lloydie" James Lloyd is a representative of our Northern impro scene, and about as nice a chap as you can know.


Tell us a bit about yourself..

I'm Lloydie, I play with MissImp in Nottingham and am also part of MissImp's 4-man longform team "Fisticuffs". I'm also a radio presenter and have worked for various commercial radio stations and the BBC in glamourous locations around the country, including the Segensworth Industrial Estate in Fareham. I've always had an interest in comedy and performance and hd written a couple of short plays, performed at the Edinburgh Fringe a couple of times but never properly given improv thought until I moved to Nottingham in 2008. I'm a huge fan of the TV show 30 Rock, and whilst nerding out on some YouTube clips of out-takes from the show, I stumbled across footage of Tina Fey performing in a televised version of ASSSCAT. I thought "I want to do that in Nottingham", googled "Improv Nottingham", MissImp was the first result on the search.... and now here I am bankrupting myself by going to Chicago.

What's the best improv call-out you've ever heard?

I like really simple suggestions. A simple call-out like "Iron" or "Confusion" are bigger gifts to improvisers than most audience members realise. There is one girl who is a regular at MissImp shows who had a habit of calling out "spoon" as her suggestion. She is now known only as "spoon girl" and she has a Facebook group dedicated to her.

Which improv course are you doing, and what made you choose that one?

I'm doing the Annoyance one-week intensive for a variety of reasons. Until now, most of my training has been UCB-based. I love the Upright Citizens Brigade and I love their focus on game. If they'd done a higher level intensive I'd have probably taken that as it's cheaper for me to get to / stay in NYC as I have friends there. However, when I saw the Annoyance intensive, I saw an opportunity to learn different ways of thinking about my improv. I've read Mick Napier's book and to be taught by him was a big draw - similarly, I've read Susan Messing's contribution to "Art By Committee" and heard her on podcasts. I love the attitude she brings to improv and the chance to learn from her is very exciting.

When/how did you start planning your trip? 

As usual, Twitter led me astray. I saw Chris Mead tweet about the course. He sent me a link to it and I got way too excited about it. I already knew I was in the market for an intensive and hadn't found one in New York. When I heard other Brits were going too, that sealed the deal. I knew there would be other people bringing this stuff back and using it in their improv work and that's really exciting.

What are you most excited about? 

I love getting to see improv. In Nottingham I don't get to see shows because I'm in them and we are pretty much the only game in town. I might see occasional touring improv shows or get to go to London occasionally to see other groups. However, when I'm in New York I've always seen one or two shows a night. I'll be doing the same in Chicago and having a shameless binge on all the improv they have to offer.

Are there any shows you HAVE to see while you're over there?

I've heard so much about TJ and Dave I have to see them. The Reckoning, by reputation, are a longform team I feel I must see. Messing With A Friend is Susan Messing's show so I'll definitely be seeing that. Baby Wants Candy, of course, and The Armando Diaz Experience. Those are my main ones, but my actual list is already way longer than that.

What are you going to do in chicago when you're not improvising? 

I guess watching improv, spending time with improvisers and everyone has said I have to try the pizza, so I'll be doing that too. They probably have sights to see too, don't they? I should probably do that while I'm there too.

How do you think the trip will change you?

Annoyance seems to have a very instinct-based approach which I think will be good for me. I'm quite a head-y improviser, although perhaps a little less so more recently. I think quite a few people who do a lot of "game" focussed improv seem to get a bit stuck in their heads, certainly to begin with. I'm hoping the instruction I get will free me a little more. I think just spending time with more UK longform improvisers will make a difference.

Do you think you'll go back another time?

I'd love to do the IO intensive but I'm not sure on the odds of me winning the lottery or marrying a rich man so... well... in theory, absolutely.

If you could name a new impro group anything you like, what would it be?

I really like the name "Fisticuffs" which is our longform team in Nottingham. I can't take credit for the name, but I think it embodies a certain campness that our group has. I don't think I can pre-name a team without knowing them, or at least going for a drink with them first.


Lloydie plays in Miss Imp in Nottingham.
His Twitter handle is @LloydieJL
Follow all the improvisers at #ChicaGoUk

No comments:

Post a Comment