Saturday 30 June 2012

#ChicaGoUK: Sarah Castell

Sarah is off to Chicago soon. Bid her well and read about her expectations. Here are the words:


Tell us a bit about yourself..

Hullo! I am Sarah and I usually do social research, and working with groups to help them be creative, and teaching slightly left-field courses to children involving art and history and stuff. And then I do as much improvising as I can eat.

I am at the moment in the group Red Lorry Yellow Lorry and we’re having fun with short form singing improvising at the moment, with some other formats to come later in the year. I dabble in the Spontaneity Shop group Banjo Lizard as well.

What's the best improv call-out you've ever heard?

I have the memory of a gnat so can only remember ones from the last seven days. A nice one recently was: What does he want? "To climb Mount Everest". And what’s getting in his way? "Llamas!”

Which improv course are you doing, and what made you choose that one?

I am doing the IO 5-weeker because I want to just do nothing but improvising, for days, and days, and days, and days, and days, until it all froths up out of my laughing face.

When/how did you start planning your trip?

I realised earlier in the year that I might be able to swing it, and performed a cunning salary negotiation. I get time off FREE!! As long as I, er, take a pay cut, relinquish some job perks, and work more hours. In your face, The Man!!!

What are you most excited about?

Refer to earlier answer about the days of improvising and the frothing and the face etc.

Are there any shows you HAVE to see while you're over there?

Want to see Baby Wants Candy. A lot.

What are you going to do in chicago when you're not improvising?

Ride around on a bicycle belonging to an improvising bloke, who says I can borrow it. If it’s an improvising bike it will have the benefit that I can drive it through things if I forget to concentrate on where it is.

How do you think the trip will change you?

I’d like to be more flexible, more confident as an improviser and hopefully in life too, shake off some of the horrible office-y cautiousness that is so easy to sink into.

My husband also says I will appreciate him more when I get home, as nobody will be around to change my lightbulbs for me or troubleshoot my computer in Chicago.

Do you think you'll go back another time?

Depends what it’s like! If it’s brilliant, then yes!

If you could name a new impro group anything you like, what would it be?

When we started the Red Lorry team some people wanted to call it the Massive Fascists. Tempting though it was, I thought that was wrong in many ways, so I imposed my iron will and crushed them like a tyrannous despot. You know, I still don’t know why they wanted to call it that.


Sarah plays in Red Lorry Yellow Lorry in London.
Follow all the improvisers at #ChicaGoUK

No comments:

Post a Comment